8:00 a.m. -12:00 & 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
322-8521 - fax (270) 322-8575
HANSON HISTORIC DISTRICT
Hanson was founded in 1869 on a fifty acre tract donated by Judge Robert
Eastwood and Rev. Roland Gooch to the Henderson and Nashville Railroad
(now the Seaboard Railroad). Hanson was named in honor of Henry B.
Hanson, a civil engineer who worked for the railroad and plotted the
town. A passenger and freight depot was soon built adjacent to the
tracks and Hanson became a shipping center for area farmers. By the
1880s, Hanson was bustling community of over one hundred residents with
six tobacco factories, sawmills, a hotel, a bank and many frame stores
along Main Street.
In 1889, a fire swept through the commercial district and most of the
existing structures. The commercial area was soon rebuilt with one and
two-story brick and frame buildings. The present appearance of the
Hanson Historic District dates from this time period of rebuilding in
the 1890s and early 1900s.
With the decline of passenger and freight service in the 1930s the
prosperity of the town decreased. Over the next several decades the
major tobacco and roller mills in the community either burned or were
razed and many of the commercial buildings also were razed. Despite
these changes in the community, a tightly grouped collection of late
19th century historic buildings continues to be the commercial center of
the town. Today, there is renewed interest in the community to preserve
and restore this block of buildings.
photos and website
design by Rick Byrd